Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link and City Air Terminal have the objective to provide transportation service for passengers who wish to travel from downtown to the airport with more convenient, faster, and more flexible. This Rail Link system providesservice at the speed of 160 kilometers per hour on an elevated platform parallel with the eastern railway, has a distance of 28 kilometers that goes through 8 stations and passengercapacity of 14,000 to 50,000 passengers per day per direction.
Passengers who wish to travel to Suvarnabhumi Airport have 2 choices of service systems:
(SA City Line)
The government has constructed Suvarnabhumi Airport to be Thailand’s gateway and regional air communication center which has the capacity equivalent to leading international airports in the world that has been opened for service since September 28, 2006. To complete the service of Suvarnabhumi Airport to international level, the government deems that there should be an express rail system linking downtown of Bangkok to Suvarnabhumi Airport to provide convenience and reliable service to passengers who use the service of Suvarnabhumi Airport with shorter travel time to the airport and be in time for the departure.
The cabinet has approved the meeting resolution on September 23, 2003 of the Suvarnabhumi Airport Development Committee (SADC)’s meeting number 3/2546 dated July 28, 2003 to allow State Railway of Thailand to hire a consulting firm to study suitability of project investment and propose the plan for allowing private participation in the investment of the Phyathai-Makkasan-Suvarnabhumi Airport railway project for a budget of 20 million baht, which has begun construction since October 1, 2003 and is scheduled for completion in 120 days.
The cabinet has approved the meeting resolution on September 23, 2003 of the Suvarnabhumi Airport Development Committee (SADC)’s meeting number 3/2546 dated July 28, 2003 to allow State Railway of Thailand to hire a consulting firm to design engineering detail of the Phyathai-Makkasan-Suvarnabhumi Airport railway project for a budget of 291 million baht that has begun construction since February 10, 2004 and is scheduled for completion in 240 days.
The cabinet has a resolution on June 1, 2004, to allow the State Railway of Thailand execute the construction of Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link and City Air Terminal project for a budget of 30 billion baht which includes the construction of the tunnel under Suvarnabhumi Airport Terminal for a budget of 4,082,973,000 million baht, which will be reimbursed to New Bangkok International Airport Co, Ltd. who has advanced the construction cost in order to allow the construction of the airport terminal to continue.
The State Railway of Thailand has organized an auction for construction price of the project which the envelope must be submitted on October 18, 2004 until the winning bidders emerged as a consortium which consists of the following companies:
- B. Grimm International Co., Ltd.
- B. Grimm MBM Hong Kong Ltd.
- Siemens Aktiengesellschaft Co., Ltd.
- Siemens Co., Ltd.
- Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Public Co., Ltd.
The State Railway of Thailand has signed in a construction agreement according to the agreement number RFT.TPH.1/KS./1/2548 dated January 20, 2005 for the construction fee of 25.907 billion baht which is comprised of:
- Civil Engineering and Structure Construction Fee
12,284,000,000.- billion baht
- E&M System and Passenger Car Procurement Fee
13,623,000,000.- billion baht
The State Railway of Thailand has chosen consulting and project control firms according to the agreement number RFT.TPH.1/TPS/1/2548 dated March 10, 2005 which consists of:
- Asian Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd.
- Thai Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd.
- Pacific Consultants International Co., Ltd.
- Chotichinda Mouchel Consultants Co., Ltd.
- DE-Consult Dentsche Eisenbahn – Consulting Gmbh
- Wisit Engineering Consultants Co., Ltd.
- Design Concept Co., Ltd.
Construction period of the whole project is not more than 990 days starting from the date of receiving the work commencement notification which is comprised of:
- Civil engineering and structural work, rail system work, electrical and mechanical system work, and electrical passenger car procurement which are to be completed within 900 days.
- Integrated System Testing and Training of Personnel to provide rail service within 90 days.
Project CharacteristicConstruction Agreement Construction agreement of the Maximum Guarantee Price type means construction fee covers the whole construction work according to the detail and technical specification, disregarding the quantity of the work, the contractor shall be responsible according to the value specified within the construction agreement, which the contractor will acquire own loan source whilethe State Railway of Thailandwill issue the letter of consent to pay the fee to the contractor according to theactual construction work for the contractor towithdraw the money from specified bank,and the State Railway of Thailand shall be responsible for incurring interest according toagreement which specifies the use of floating interest rate of MLR-2 per year according to the average specified by the headquarters of Bangkok Bank Public Company Limited,Kasikorn Bank Company Limited, Krung Thai Bank Public Company Limited, and Siam Commercial Bank Public Company Limited with the total financial feeof 1,666,214,700 baht which is comprised of:
- Financial Management Fee 1,557,210,000.- baht
- VAT 7% 109,004,700. - baht
There are 2 train systems:
1. SA Express (Suvarnabhumi Airport Express) is an express electric train linking City Air Terminal-CAT, which is located at Makkasan Station, and Suvarnabhumi Airport, which only stops at both terminals. This line is 25 kilometers long and takes 15 minutes from one terminal to the other. There are 4 trains, each has 4 passenger cars.
2. SA City Line (Suvarnabhumi Airport City Line) is an electric train system that provides service in parallel with the SA Express. This line provides service between Phyathai Station, which is an interchanging point to BTS system and Suvarnabhumi Airport Terminal, which stops at 6 stations including City Air Terminal as well. This line is 28 kilometers long and takes no more than 30 minutes from one terminal to the other. There are 5 trains, each has 3 passenger cars.
Rail System and Station consist of almost entirely elevated railway and station with the height of approximately 22 meters except for the section before entering Suvarnabhumi Airport, which will be at the ground level and will lower into the tunnel underneath Suvarnabhumi Station. The rail uses Standard Gauge system with the track width of 1.435 meters and speed limit of 160 kilometer per hour.
There are total of 8 stations:
- Phyathai Station
- Raiprarop Station
- Makkasan Station (CAT)
- Ramkhamhaeng Station
- Hua Mark Station
- Thab Chang Station
- Lad Krabang Station
- Suvarnabhumi Station
Civil Engineering and Structural Works consists of:
- Elevated Rail Structure
- 7 Elevated Stations
- Underground Station (architectural work and facilities)
- City Air Terminal (CAT)
- Supporting Structure for train switch area
- Maintenance Depot and Train Control Center
- Facilities within the building such as escalator, elevator, etc.
- Road work and develop connecting area
Rail Work and Electrical-Mechanical Work
- Track work/Alignment System
- Signaling & Train Control System
- Communication System
- Electrification System
- Automatic Fare Collection System
- Platform Screen Door System
- Depot and Workshop Equipment
- Check-in Facilities and Baggage Handling System
Electrical Passenger Car Procurement
- 16 passenger cars for Suvarnabhumi Airport Express
- 15 passenger cars for Suvarnabhumi Airport City Line